Re: Minimum and recommended system requirements for Fedora

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 08:28:30AM -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
>    On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM, David Cantrell
>    <[1]dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>    There really should be no expectation of official support for Fedora.
>    While
>
>      anyone is free to file bugs and updates are released, there is no
>      SLA for
>      Fedora.
>      You get out of Fedora what you put in to it.
>      Regarding hardware requirements, since installation is I/O bound,
>      more RAM
>      is better.  If the kernel fails to boot on your system, consider
>      your CPU
>      unsupported.  The release notes ([2]docs.fedoraproject.org) list
>      minimum RAM
>      requirements for installation.  These numbers are the outcome of
>      periodic
>      tests to determine what actually works in most use cases.
>      For me personally, I would not want to have less than 2G of RAM in a
>      system
>      that I plan on using.
>      --
>      David Cantrell <[3]dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
>      Manager, Installer Engineering Team
>      Red Hat, Inc. | Westford, MA | EST5EDT
>
>    Hey David,
>    I'm the current Docs Project team lead, and I'm gathering information
>    to put into the Release Notes.
>    The only support I would lead users to expect is that the system
>    functions as documented.   I'll pose the question on the fedora devel
>    mailing list, and probably the QA list as well.  I would like input
>    from you and the anaconda team as well.  Any guidance you can provide
>    towards accurate documentation would be appreciated.
>    --Pete

Ah, I was confused.  Nothing stood out in the email that you were the docs
lead...at least my first pass of it.  I assume messages like that are
support questions, which show up from time to time on the list.  Apologies.

If you subscribe to this list, you can see our discussions regarding the
minimum RAM requirement.  That's really our main focus, ensuring we set that
to a realistic number.  For other hardware requirements, I'd ask the kernel
guys and the X developers.

One thing that frequently comes up is the question about why the
installation requires more memory than the installed system.  An end user
using something other than GNOME or KDE will likely have a smaller runtime
requirement.  I've always tried to explain that the installation environment
does not necessarily represent the final environment you will have
installed.  Our installation environment is developed to make use of
software that exists in a default install, not the smallest system you could
possibly install.  Not sure if there's a good way to mention that in the
documentation.

What I really want to say is that the XFCE user, LXDE user, Window Maker
user, blackbox user, and so on are all edge cases, not a base case.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>