Re: Minimum and recommended system requirements for Fedora

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM, John Reiser <jreiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/29/2013, Pete Travis wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to figure out the minimum system requirements for Fedora -
>> basic stuff like CPU, memory, storage - and I don't know where to look.  As I
>> understand it, anaconda can require more memory than the final running system,
>> so I thought I'd start here ( I did notice this improved a lot with the last
>> release, nice work!)
>>
>> Anything you can do to answer the question or point me in the right direction,
>> would be a big help.  I made a half-hearted effort to find a source for it when
>> preparing the Release Notes for F18, had no success, and so shipped release
>> notes without the information. I'd rather not do that again, and I'm not
>> comfortable coming up with the figures independently.
>
> Um, you're being more than a little lazy.
>
> I hold the modern record (Fedora 17 and later) of successful install in 383MB RAM
> (using the default Anaconda graphical install of the default graphical desktop)
> on both i686 and x86_64.  See my post "successful install using 383MB RAM"
> to this mailing list on 05/15/2012 and the ensuing thread, and a separate
> thread of 09/29/2012.  On my ancient laptop 383MB is the total RAM,
> but you can set the limit arbitrarily for any machine by using " mem=NNNm "
> on the kernel boot command line.
>
> Besides, it isn't that hard to try it yourself.  Use a USB2.0 flash memory device,
> HAVE A SWAP PARTITION, and it will take significantly less than two hours.  And if
> you install from a Fedora Live media "spin" instead of from DVD, then it takes
> even less time.
>
> --

Hey John,

If the only way to come up with the official figures is for me to test
installations myself, so be it. I have access to enough old hardware
to come up with reasonable results, and spinning up kickstarted
installations that would iterate through reducing values of "mem=NNNm"
would probably give results in short order.

I do recall reading the postings you mention, but I'm reluctant to
recommend that kind of deployment to our users. I am making a
distinction between minimal and recommended requirements, and while
the former would be relatively easy to figure out, the recommended
figure is more subjective.

If I have to come up with the numbers myself, I'll probably skip all
that and simply recommend, say, a dual core >1GHz CPU with at least
1.5GB of ram and 20GB of available disk space; that seems like a
reasonable baseline.  I don't want to set an expectation of support
without input from the developers of the product that I'm documenting,
so I'm writing here for guidance.

--Pete