Re: RAID UI redo

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 16:08 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:33:24PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > Would you mind taking a look and giving us your feedback?
> > http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2013/03/11/raid-re-do-for-anaconda/
>
> It seems promising.
>
> Based on some of the conversations I had with people about LVM-on-RAID, I'm
> wondering if it might be best to move _entirely_ to LVM as the RAID
> technology. I think this UI would cover that pretty well, too, without much
> change.

This is very similar to the problem of encryption with lvm in that there
are two general approaches: you can encrypt the entire VG (by encrypting
the PVs) or you can encrypt individual LVs. Likewise, with raid, you can
make a single PV on an MD device (which will apply the raid features to
the entire VG) or you can apply raid features to individual LVs using
the segment type options to lvcreate. We have more or less signed up to
support both approaches to encryption, so I expect we'll want to do the
same for raid/lvm.

David