Re: RAID UI redo

On Mar 11, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Based on some of the conversations I had with people about LVM-on-RAID, I'm
> wondering if it might be best to move _entirely_ to LVM as the RAID
> technology.

LVM supports linear (default), mirror, and stripe and combinations. No RAID 5 or 6.

Are many people using LVM mirroring and striping? The command line syntax for managing LVM mirroring and striping is distinctly unlike mdadm syntax. And (md) linux-raid@ is quite active helping users with problems. Is that the case for LVM mirroring and striping?  I think there need to be overwhelmingly good reasons to use LVM native mirroring/striping instead of md.

But the updated RAID UI looks like it'd have LVM RAID choosable by changing the Technology pop-up menu to LVM. Then I'd expect to see 2-3 options: linear (or no selection), mirroring and/or striping.

– I'm interested what the LVM on (md) RAID UI will look like, currently they're separate and mutually exclusive features.

– I'm unclear about the distinction between the Partition Type: (RAID) pop-up meaning, compared to Technolgy: (RAID).

– I still think RAID 4 needs to be dropped. It's not as bad as letting users create a degraded array and install to it, but there's no user use case for RAID 4. It's used as an intermediate format when converting between certain other RAID levels.

– Overall I'm not too concerned about the exceptional amount of descriptive text. If there were an elegant way to hide the smaller point descriptive text and show it as a tooltip/mouseover that might be better.

– Descriptive text says RAID 6 requires minimum 3 disks, but it needs 4 minimum.

Chris Murphy