Re: Review of Fedora 18 Release Criteria

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 09:32 -0400, David Cantrell wrote:

> > I think it's a "must-do" list, which isn't the entirety of a "to-do"
> > list.  If we look at both the Blocker list /and/ the Nice to Have
> > list together, then it starts to look more like a "to do" list.
>
> Yeah, that's a fair assessment.

I think we're all on the same page here, but just as a side note, it
only really looks like that if you're anaconda. For any other component,
they'll have maybe a max of 5 bugs on the blocker and NTH list for any
given release. So they'll have lots of time for other stuff too. It's
only for anaconda that the bugs on the blocker and NTH lists, together,
look like a full-time job :)

> > I think one of the problems here is the difference between RHEL
> > process and Fedora process.  RHEL doesn't seem to have a "Nice to
> > have" concept.  RHEL seems to be "throw everything on the blocker
> > list, because we would take a fix for this after a freeze, and we
> > can remove it from the blocker list later if we don't get it done".
> > Fedora isn't like that. We have two lists, a list of things we would
> > truly delay the release for, and a list of things we'd take after a
> > freeze if they get fixed, but won't otherwise delay the release.
>
> At least from my point of view, RHEL does have a nice to have concept, but
> it's at devel discretion and closes off much earlier I think than Fedora
> does.  But to me that's just one of the differences between slow-moving RHEL
> and fast-moving Fedora.

Even if that's the case, it leaves the door open for the problem Jesse
noted (thanks for mentioning NTH specifically, Jesse, I somehow missed
it) - once this RHEL nth concept is 'closed off', the only way to get
something through the freeze is to put it on the blocker list, yes? So
you still end up with things going on the blocker list just to get
through freeze. Which is indeed the problem the NTH process is meant to
solve (and in practice seems to solve quite well).

Honestly, one thing I'm getting out of this conversation is that RHEL
could afford to pick up some Fedora concepts :)

> I was specifically referring to the Alpha and Beta releases, not the
> additional test composes we do.  Apologies for the vocabulary confusion.  My
> example was really just, "if something filed before Alpha as a blocker still
> hasn't been closed by RC and no one has complained, should we really care
> about it for this release?"

With the 'and no one has complained' proviso, yeah, that is something we
take into account. We took a bug off the Beta blocker list on more or
less exactly this grounds, yesterday.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey