Re: Review of Fedora 18 Release Criteria

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 02:25:37PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 01:43 PM, David Cantrell wrote:
> >>Rather than throw almost everything on the blocker list when it's early
> >That's fine, but how is that not a to do list?
>
> I think it's a "must-do" list, which isn't the entirety of a "to-do"
> list.  If we look at both the Blocker list /and/ the Nice to Have
> list together, then it starts to look more like a "to do" list.

Yeah, that's a fair assessment.

> I think one of the problems here is the difference between RHEL
> process and Fedora process.  RHEL doesn't seem to have a "Nice to
> have" concept.  RHEL seems to be "throw everything on the blocker
> list, because we would take a fix for this after a freeze, and we
> can remove it from the blocker list later if we don't get it done".
> Fedora isn't like that. We have two lists, a list of things we would
> truly delay the release for, and a list of things we'd take after a
> freeze if they get fixed, but won't otherwise delay the release.

At least from my point of view, RHEL does have a nice to have concept, but
it's at devel discretion and closes off much earlier I think than Fedora
does.  But to me that's just one of the differences between slow-moving RHEL
and fast-moving Fedora.

> >The big difference here and what we see on the RHEL side is that RHEL allows
> >for blocker bugs to be re-evaluated and booted if a later workaround or some
> >other acceptable solution besides a bug fix is found.  It becomes a schedule
> >thing, which I am routinely told is very important for Fedora.
> >
> >If something marked as a blocker early on is still not fixed through several
> >test releases, does it really matter anymore for the release?  If not, why
> >not boot it off the blocker list?
>
> What do you mean by test releases here?  We've done multiple "test
> composes" of an alpha or a beta leading up to a "release candidate".
> We do these test composes, even with known blockers, because /some/
> of the things have been fixed and it's good to get testing on that.
> But "release candidate" doesn't happen until all the blockers are
> met or removed.  Blockers are frequently removed from the list when
> re-evaluated.

I was specifically referring to the Alpha and Beta releases, not the
additional test composes we do.  Apologies for the vocabulary confusion.  My
example was really just, "if something filed before Alpha as a blocker still
hasn't been closed by RC and no one has complained, should we really care
about it for this release?"

> >Call it want you want, but we all know it's RHEL.

> >I'll agree with that.  I've had that complaint for a long time, ever since
> >we merged Core and Extras.
> >
> >As we have both already stated and agreed on, the installer is unique.  Our
> >development process is so very much tied to the Fedora release schedule.
> >There is no easy way for us to develop something large like a new installer
> >and not have it tied to a release.  This became harder for us when we
> >stopped doing rawhide nightly composes many years ago (and I have no idea if
> >those are happening again these days).  People don't go and download a new
> >installer to try it out.  You download a release of something and try
> >installing it.  Our only way to get that to users is to follow the Fedora
> >release schedule, unless we want to start making our own distribution.
> >
> >I know what you're getting at and it's that newui was a huge feature and
> >that's made our lives hard.  Unfortunately, the Fedora release schedule is
> >such that work like this is always painful for us.
>

> So the no images in rawhide thing was kinda my doing.  It came from
> a meeting a few years ago with release engineering, QA, installer
> team, and others, where we looked at how our development process was
> going and where all the painful points where.
>
> One of the major pain points identified was how frequently rawhide
> wasn't installable, and how it would turn people away.  After
> talking with folks it seemed like a better idea was to /not/ present
> a broken set of images each night to people when we had no idea of
> they would work.  Instead what we wanted to do was keep rawhide as
> just a repository of packages.  We would then create "known good"
> images that people could use as a starting point to get on rawhide,
> from that point it was just yum update every day.

I remember when all that went down and I think it made sense at the time.
The name 'rawhide' has certain expectations associated with it that we will
probably never be able to change.  At the time I found it frustrating
because we relied on the nightly composes to do installer development.  But
I understand that since it was publicly available, we needed to stop the
constant "nightlies are broken" reports from users.

> Where this may have failed is in the creation of the known good
> images.  Of course to know they're good, they must be created first,
> then tested.  There was schedule points for creating composes to
> smoke test, with the hopes of identifying a compose that was "good
> enough" to be promoted as a last known good.  I think we're probably
> missing some infrastructure here, and some cooperation between
> installer devs and qa and releng.

Known good rawhide composes would be a nice thing to have.

> The happy world I envisioned was an installer team able to work on
> their own on large changes, not bothered by people constantly
> telling them that rawhide was broken, again.  When the team thought
> they'd reached some milestone and wanted to start getting testing,
> they would work with QA and releng to get some images produced and
> ran through smoke tests. If good, promoted, if not fix it and try
> again, iterate.  If this happy world isn't something we think can be
> managed, then we really should re-evaluate the no images in rawhide
> thing again.

I think this is possible.  We need to work against rawhide, so as long as we
have a regular compose process building images from that for us, we can work
this way.  But it sort of only gets us so far.  The more large changes we do
outside of official repos, the more integration work we stack up for
ourselves later.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Manager, Installer Engineering Team