Re: Review of Fedora 18 Release Criteria

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 07:19:25AM -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> As we're getting closer to the scheduled time for beta freeze, we'd
> like to find out now if any of the current criteria or proposed criteria
> changes are unreasonable to expect for beta. There may be more changes
> for final as we get closer to that but I think that we're pretty close
> to being done with the release requirements for beta.
>
> The current (as of this writing) release criteria are available at:
>  - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_18_Alpha_Release_Criteria
>  - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_18_Beta_Release_Criteria
>  - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_18_Final_Release_Criteria

I would like to see changes to the blocker criteria for each release.  The
first item on each release criteria is that all blockers must be CLOSED.
Blockers are determined by criteria defined below which always group
anaconda in because we cannot address those problems in a later update
release.  This gets us on the bug fixing treadmill as we edge closer to each
release because every anaconda bug more or less becomes a blocker.  What I
would like to see:

1) Installer blocker criteria needs to be more and more restrictive the
closer we get to a final release.

2) Installer blockers should only be granted when there is no other way to
accomplish the same task during installation.  For example, if FCoE
configuration does not always work in the UI but does work when passed boot
parameters or via kickstart, we shouldn't consider it a blocker.  It's an
unfortunate bug, but as described there is an install path for those users.

3) Ultimately we want the number of granted blockers to be lower and lower
from alpha to beta to rc.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Manager, Installer Engineering Team