Re: expectations for Fedora 18-Alpha-TC3

On Aug 17, 2012, at 9:41 AM, Chris Lumens wrote:

>> If I can't see it, and am not told it's there, then it isn't there.
>> Requiring hover is also bad for those who use assisting technologies.
>
> We can work on making information more discoverable, but the answer is
> not to generate a giant table of data.

I agree the answer is to not generate a wall of data.

In the order users identify disks by
- user defined metadata (i.e. partition/volume labels)
- price
- size
- make/model
- device tree location or enclosure brand if USB/FW
- serial number

Obviously you can't show price. But I don't understand why existing partition/volume labels aren't displayed. User metadata is highly recognizable to users. Connections and serial numbers are much more obscure.

Arguably if every drive were size, make, model identical, then size, make, model shouldn't even be displayed, only uniquely identifying information should be displayed, in order to both uniquely identify disks (the point of the UI) and avoid the UI clutter wall of data syndrome.

Chris Murphy