Re: expectations for Fedora 18-Alpha-TC3

On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 08:17 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> There is a 5-second deadline.  Anything longer requires a progress bar
> (or at least some changing indicator "I'm still alive"), else it's equivalent
> to a "hang".

The number from Jakob Nielsen's studies is actually 10 seconds, FWIW:
http://www.webperformancetoday.com/tag/jakob-nielsen/

> > By "the box abuts the left margin", you just mean that it looks odd
> > without any sort of button/box next to it, right?  If you mean something
> > else, can you attach a screenshot?
>
> There needs to be a margin, else it looks like something was cut off.
> Also, it's really hard to read when the first character of a line
> has less than 0.5 'n' of space to the left.

This is really hard to figure out without a screenshot, can you send
one? It shouldn't look as you're describing so there may be a bug
affecting the margins.

> The box scrolls with the mouse, but there are only 2 drives visible at
> any time.  An ordinary table of text, with columns of attributes and rows
> of drives (including a small icon for the type of drive) would be better.
> Such a table could list 12 drives easily before vertical scrolling
> would become necessary.  Horizontal scrolling would allow more
> attributes at once, there could be 6 or 7 columns of attributes
> (icon, make, model, size, serial, MSDOS/GPT/Apple) before scrolling.

The box should show 4-5 drives before requiring scrolling, so I think
this issue would also be more easily sorted with a screenshot of this
screen, can you provide one?

> If I can't see it, and am not told it's there, then it isn't there.

Do we have anything set for right-click on the drives right now? Maybe
we could have it pop up on right-click since right-click is commonly
used for 'more details' about an object?

> Requiring hover is also bad for those who use assisting technologies.

Mouseover hovers are fine so long as keyboard focus triggers the same
hover, since some assisting technologies involve the use of keyboard,
joystick, or switches. Users who use assisting technologies where
eye-tracking moves the mouse (head or eye-tracking equipment) use blinks
to click the mouse so they could still hover as well.

> >> There was no message "No LVM2 structures were found" which is
> >> required in order to increase my confidence and help detect errors.
> >
> > What?
>
> If disk discovery gets something wrong. then there is a moderate chance
> of data loss, and that would be catastrophic.  The GUI tells me if LVM2
> was discovered.  It also should tell me if LVM2 was _not_ discovered.

You should always back up your data before running an installer,
especially one that's under heavy development. :)

~m