Re: expectations for Fedora 18-Alpha-TC3

>> <Tab> did not move the focus to the next graphical button on the Choose
>> Language screen.

> Tab works as I expect it both on the initial welcome language screen, as
> well as the language spoke off the first hub.  All UI elements are
> focusable.

<Tab> did not move focus for me; or perhaps it did, but the newly-focused
button was not highlighted.  I'll file a bug.

>> There was no progress indicator for Installation Source, Software Selection
>> (downloading repo info, checking dependencies), or Installation Destination
>> (examining storage devices).
>
> Right, progress indicators are really hard to do and are a never-ending
> source of bugs.  They're especially hard to do for things that involve
> the network.  Additionally, feedback we've gotten in the past says we
> have way too many popups.
>
> So the idea here is that you can go do other stuff while long-running
> tasks work themselves out which makes progress indicators a little less
> helpful.

There is a 5-second deadline.  Anything longer requires a progress bar
(or at least some changing indicator "I'm still alive"), else it's equivalent
to a "hang".  It is much more pleasant to have a progress bar.  I'll wait
patiently much longer if I have some reasonable indication of how close
it is to being done, and if I can estimate the completion time.

>> The left box (Desktop) of Installation type (Base, GNOME, KDE, LXDE,
>> Sugar, XFCE) was unclear.  Is it a radio-button list (select only one)
>> but without the buttons?  The box abuts the left margin, and looks like
>> something has been cut off on the left.
>
> It's a radio button list.  This is perhaps a little unclear.  I'll talk
> to mizmo about adding radio buttons.
>
> By "the box abuts the left margin", you just mean that it looks odd
> without any sort of button/box next to it, right?  If you mean something
> else, can you attach a screenshot?

There needs to be a margin, else it looks like something was cut off.
Also, it's really hard to read when the first character of a line
has less than 0.5 'n' of space to the left.

[snip]

>> Horizontal scrolling sucks;
>> my box has 5 drives, and I want to see them all at once.
>
> There is a limit to how much can be displayed at once.  I'm sure there
> are people out there with 20 drives who want to see them all at once.
> You can use the disk shopping cart (button on the bottom left) to see
> what all you've got selected at once, though.
>
> Horizontal scrolling - does the box not scroll with the keyboard?  We've
> had this problem elsewhere and if that's happening, I should be able to
> fix it.

The box scrolls with the mouse, but there are only 2 drives visible at
any time.  An ordinary table of text, with columns of attributes and rows
of drives (including a small icon for the type of drive) would be better.
Such a table could list 12 drives easily before vertical scrolling
would become necessary.  Horizontal scrolling would allow more
attributes at once, there could be 6 or 7 columns of attributes
(icon, make, model, size, serial, MSDOS/GPT/Apple) before scrolling.

>> Sometimes I have multiple drives of the same make and model,
>> so I need to see the serial numbers, too.
>
> The serial number is available if you hover the mouse.

If I can't see it, and am not told it's there, then it isn't there.
Requiring hover is also bad for those who use assisting technologies.

>> There was no message "No LVM2 structures were found" which is
>> required in order to increase my confidence and help detect errors.
>
> What?

If disk discovery gets something wrong. then there is a moderate chance
of data loss, and that would be catastrophic.  The GUI tells me if LVM2
was discovered.  It also should tell me if LVM2 was _not_ discovered.