Re: Key installer functionality for F18: rescue mode, text/serial console mode

On Aug 1, 2012, at 6:03 PM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> Now the exact thing that is needed ( for now ) to compensate my worries for alpha is a grub entry called "Rescue" or "Fedora Rescue" which contains  "rd.break" without having the reporter to "know" that kernel parameter off hand but instead offers him a select-able entry so we can start gathering feedback from reporters in as painless manner as possible.

Re: GRUB. Presently the entry is 'recovery mode', which invokes the 'single' kernel param, which supposedly is the same as systemd's rescue.target. So recovery=single=rescue. Overwhelmingly that's a sufficient environment for fixing most problems users are likely to encounter, and thus isn't going away anytime soon.

As for adding Advanced menu items to the GRUB menu, I have less of a problem with additions than:

a.) The poor linguistic and practical distinction between recovery, rescue, single, and emergency modes or targets. That needs sorting out before there are more options in the Advanced menu. After reading the description of rescue.target and emergency.target, after 5 days I still forget the difference. It's sponge cake vs pound cake. Meaningless.

b.) The loss of anaconda's rescue mode. Seems pretty obscure, when an enterprise user says he hasn't used it in a year.

If an additional Advanced menu item were to be added, would it be based on systemd's emergency.target, or rd.break?

Chris Murphy