Re: newui observations on bare metal

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 13:48 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > * Install Destination
> >  - Using a USB stick for install, it shows up in the drive list and
> >    is selected. clicking on it clears the 'select a disk' warning, but
> >    doesn't toggle its state. If you leave the spoke and return then it
> >    toggles when clicked as expected.
>
> I would assume we are simply not taking protected devices into account
> in the UI.
>
> >  - The 'review and custom' checkbox in the install options dialog gets
> >    set back on when you unselect it and then hit cancel/go-back. It
> >    stays clear if you continue and then revisit the spoke.
>
> I think this is by design, but dlehman would have to confirm.  I think
> the idea is that once you've done the review, you won't want to again.
> I've seen this before too and did think it was a little weird, so
> perhaps it's worth revisiting.

This is a result of the destination spoke being odd. Clicking "Back"
doesn't trigger a call to the apply method, so the settings are not made
permanent. IOW the back button on the storage spoke is currently a
Cancel button. This is due to everything in storage being opt-in. I'm
not sure what other approach we can take here without potentially
modifying someone's disk during OS install without them having
explicitly told us to do so.

> >  - I don't like the progressive disclosure used in custom where I have
> >    to click on at least 3 things to see the details of a partition
> >    (Unknown->partition->custom...). I'd rather see all the details from
> >    the start.

I would certainly like a device name and possibly type for each device
to avoid lots of clicking to identify things that weren't in an fstab
(and things like vgs and pvs).

This brings us to another question: when the user removes the last lv
from a vg, should we go ahead and remove the vg? How about its pv(s)? If
we don't, they get dropped down into the "Unused" group, which is not
ideal. It starts to feel like whack-a-mole.

> Would having the expander expanded by default make things better?  I can
> see that being too busy-looking for the average user, though.  Also, it
> kind of makes having an expander pointless to begin with.

I would personally like to be able to completely remove a specific
installation with one click.

> > * Installation Source
> >  - You can't select this until it finishes downloading the default
> >    metadata from the closest mirror. It takes enough time to download
> >    that you notice it. I think you should be able to enter the spoke
> >    and change the selection while the download is running -- eg. if
> >    you want to use a local repo instead.
>
> I don't know that we can do this, though.  The download isn't really
> interruptable since it's running in yum code and we don't have any way
> to kill it.

Either we don't do it automatically, forcing users to go in and choose
closest mirror, or we do it automatically (for those who do not provide
a repo) and potentially force some waiting while yum grabs metadata.
People will be complaining whichever way we go here.

Do we punish the procrastinator ("I want a non-default repo, but I
didn't want to type it at boot time") or the clueless user ("I don't
know what the hell this even means -- can't you just set it up for
me?")?

Rawhide metadata download can take a mighty long time, though.