Re: initram disk image and installation of Fedora Core

Hello anaconda-devel-list,

Thnks John for his answer!
is this not what you require? In it, one might expect to find >modules
specific to your hardware:-)

Sound reasonable.

I'm sure the presence of LVM modules doesn't force you to use >LVM -
their presence give you the ability to support LVM at that time.

OK,  let me ask something else and tell you what is behind this
question. This is a long mail - it tells about some difficult probelm
I encounter.

If we do have loading of LVM and device mapper (dm) in init
and the 2 calls in init
lvm vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
lvm vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure VolGroup00

and we DO have root=/dev/VolGroup/... in our menu.lst ,
does this mean that the partition must be an LVM partition ?
or, in case it is not an LVM partition , will there be panic in boot?

And what is behind it is simple:
I installed linux FC5. Afterward I installed solaris.
the solaris is the boot partition. Solaris works with grub.
But when I added an  entry to solaris menu.lst in order to
boot linux I got a panic when booting linux.

I changed that entry that instead of root/dev/VolGroup... it will
be /dev/sda2 . It did not help and I got again panic.
In the panic message it talks about failing LVM actions.
This is the panic message:

Reading all physical volumes.This may take a while...
No volume groups found.
Unable to find volume group "VolGroup00"
Unable to access resource device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'

kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init

So maybe the solaris installation cause some problems in the
linux solutiuon?
What is strange to me is that the partition table on linux
does NOT contain an LVM partition.
(I ram fdisk -l from linux rescue cd ).

this is the partition table:
fdisk -l output is:

Disk /dev/sda : 250 GB
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 3824 .... C W95 FAT32 LBA
/dev/sda2 3825 3837 .... 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 3838 10211 ... 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 * 10212 16586 ... bf Solaris

Any ideas ? I am quite desperate about finding a solution to this!

And the solution of installing it all anew seems not mostly wanted.

Regards,
John

On 9/20/06, John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Que wrote:
> Hello
> I was searching for where is the initrd*.img file which is
> written to /boot during installation of Fedora Core 5 and which
> is the initram image used in bootstrap.
>
> I had searceh the 5 *.iso CDs of FC5 :
> I found 3 files which could be regarded as candidates but it
> seems to me that they are not the ones.
> theses files are :
> in the first FC5 installation iso:
> /isolinux/initrd.img
> /images/xen/initrd.img
> and
> /images/pxeboot/initrd.img
>
> So it seems to me that none of these is the one which is being
> written to /boot during installation of FC5     .
>
> So my question is : does the installer of FC5   run mkinitrd during the
> installation ?
So I've always believed. More precisely, when the kernel's installed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait