Re: initram disk image and installation of Fedora Core

John Que wrote:
Hello
I was searching for where is the initrd*.img file which is
written to /boot during installation of Fedora Core 5 and which
is the initram image used in bootstrap.

It's created on the fly.  You too can make it with mkinitrd.

I had searceh the 5 *.iso CDs of FC5 :
I found 3 files which could be regarded as candidates but it
seems to me that they are not the ones.
theses files are :
in the first FC5 installation iso:
/isolinux/initrd.img
/images/xen/initrd.img
and
/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
These are the initrds that drive the installer, and completely unrelated to the initrd that's installed on your system.

So it seems to me that none of these is the one which is being
written to /boot during installation of FC5     .
Correct, as noted above.

And if this is so, this does mean that on different installation
options we will
have  differnet initrd.img files under /boot ?
To the extent the options impact the initrd, e.g., disk devices, file systems, &etc.

Suppose I will configure FC5 to work with LVM (during manual partition) and
suppose on a second installation I will ***NOT*** work with LVM: will
the initrd.img
under /boot in both installations be the same ?
No.

--
David N. Lombard
Rossmoor, Orange County, CA