Re: initram disk image and installation of Fedora Core

John Que wrote:
Hello anaconda-devel-list,

Thnks John for his answer!

is this not what you require? In it, one might expect to find >modules
specific to your hardware:-)

Sound reasonable.

I'm sure the presence of LVM modules doesn't force you to use >LVM -
their presence give you the ability to support LVM at that time.

OK,  let me ask something else and tell you what is behind this
question. This is a long mail - it tells about some difficult probelm
I encounter.

If we do have loading of LVM and device mapper (dm) in init
and the 2 calls in init
lvm vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
lvm vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure VolGroup00

and we DO have root=/dev/VolGroup/... in our menu.lst ,
does this mean that the partition must be an LVM partition ?
or, in case it is not an LVM partition , will there be panic in boot?

I'd not expect the kernel to care what its name is, just that it can
make sense of what's there (a recognisable filesystem)

And what is behind it is simple:
I installed linux FC5. Afterward I installed solaris.
the solaris is the boot partition. Solaris works with grub.
But when I added an  entry to solaris menu.lst in order to
boot linux I got a panic when booting linux.

I would do as I do with multiple Linux distros. I have here a Dell that
multiboots one (two soon I home) SUSE Linux systems and two RHEL5 beta
systems.

I installed grub for SUSE in the MBR.
For each subsequent distro, I installed its own grub into its partition
boot record, hda{5,6,7} etc.

First, it boots to grub for SUSEL Linux 10.1.
From there I choose SUSE 10.1 or one of the other distros.

Each of the other distros has its own menu.

Benefits of this approach:
1. Each distros standard grub menu maintenance tools work - new kernels
appear when isntalled, others vanish when removed.
2. None tramples on anothers menu.
3. If I want to use another boot mangler for one (eg LILO or any of the
others), I can, provided that it works from a PBR.

Each additional boot mangler is hooked in with chainloader, just as for
Windows.

You should be able to repair the Linux system by booting your rescue CD,
and you can add Linux to your Solaris boot menu.

PS, this is hardly an Anaconda issue:-)

--

Cheers
John