Re: initram disk image and installation of Fedora Core

John Que wrote:
Hello
I was searching for where is the initrd*.img file which is
written to /boot during installation of Fedora Core 5 and which
is the initram image used in bootstrap.

I had searceh the 5 *.iso CDs of FC5 :
I found 3 files which could be regarded as candidates but it
seems to me that they are not the ones.
theses files are :
in the first FC5 installation iso:
/isolinux/initrd.img
/images/xen/initrd.img
and
/images/pxeboot/initrd.img

So it seems to me that none of these is the one which is being
written to /boot during installation of FC5     .

So my question is : does the installer of FC5   run mkinitrd during the
installation ?
So I've always believed. More precisely, when the kernel's installed.

And if this is so, this does mean that on different installation
options we will
have  differnet initrd.img files under /boot ?

Is this not what you require? In it, one might expect to find modules specific to your hardware:-)

Or more specifically, the question which very much interests me is:

Suppose I will configure FC5 to work with LVM (during manual partition) and
suppose on a second installation I will ***NOT*** work with LVM: will
the initrd.img
under /boot in both installations be the same ?
or even more specifically:
Will the mkinitrd in the second case (no LVM) will be activated
witn the --omit-lvm-modules option ?

I'm sure the presence of LVM modules doesn't force you to use LVM - their presence give you the ability to support LVM at that time.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait