Re: steps to create updates.img

Matt Wilson wrote:
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:23:45AM -0000, Alexander Chuzhoy wrote:

Recently a colleague told me that this isn't the right way - and I should
implement this driver update with updates.img instead.

Your colleague is incorrect.  The only way to do what you want from a
PXE boot is to either update the modules.cgz, module-info, etc. in the
initrd, or construct a driver disk image and place it in the root of
the initrd at /dd.img.  (At least, that's what I recall.  It's been a
while since I've added drivers in this way).

You can use the dd option on the kernel command line to specify the
location of the driver disk.  You can use http, ftp, nfs to get to the
file; you can put the dd.img file on the initrd root, or you can
specify cdrom to get the dd.img file from the cdrom.

It's in loader2/loader.c and loader2/driverdisk.c...

--
David N. Lombard
Rossmoor, Orange County, CA