Re: conditionals in comps.xml

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 16:35 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 09:40:06PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Unfortunately, these conditionals make things _extremely_
> > non-deterministic as to how they're going to work.  In the past, without
> > the per-group details, it was just kind of annoying.  Now, it would be
> > absolutely mind boggling.  Just think about how having one group
> > selected drastically changes what gets selected otherwise -- how do you
> > handle that if someone edits Development, then selects KDE?  Do you turn
> > on KDE Development or not?
>
> Hmmm. I guess I was still thinking in the old terms, where individual
> package selection happened as a step after group selection. There, this
> presents no real problem, as long as you avoid making loops.

There were definitely problems still.  It made my head hurt on more than
one occasion.

> With the group-details approach, yeah, I can see how it's more difficult.
> Personally, I'm inclinded to think the niceties offered by conditionals
> outweigh the benefits of individual package selection in the installer. As
> several people suggested in the discussion on fedora-devel, post-install
> tools like apt-get, yum, and up2date are better suited for that task anyway.

I disagree.  Single package installation within nicely created groups
isn't unreasonable.  It's not reasonable for someone to go through a
list of 1500 packages to find the one they want.  If they're using
something like apt-get, yum or up2date, that's what they get.  (Okay,
that's not entirely true -- yum can use the comps groups, but if we add
the conditional stuff, then yum has the same problem there).

> The installer itself should just do the basic job, and the groups should be
> well thought out and well selected. This fits well with the modern
> philosophy of Fedora's core desktop, GNOME -- see particularly Havoc's "no
> crackrock" policy for metacity.

I'd say the defaults are, but at the same time, metacity does have
_some_ options.  And realistically there are things that just don't make
sense for the default case but you don't want to bury for people who
care about them

> Alternately, going the geeky route instead of the GNOME-zen
> clean-preferencesless way, the details screens could present packages which
> are listed in a conditional block as greyed out, and when you check one, it
> would ask you if you'd like to enable the required group.

Ew, just ew. :)

Jeremy