FC3 working anaconda todo

For the second trick, here's a list of a variety of things that are
being looked at/worked on within anaconda with sort of a time frame of
being done for Fedora Core 3.  I've put some thoughts on
implementation for each as well, although that's just from my quick
thinking on them.  If you're interested in working on one of them, feel
free to ask questions here.

Note that none of these will definitely make it in... it entirely
depends on available time, etc

* Support for installation via a USB network adapter
  * Add a pruner of modules.usbmap similar to the one for
modules.pcimap
  * Add appropriate modules to module-info
  * Make sure BUS_USB is being included in NIC probe
  * QUESTION: How do these persist on the installed system?  Do things
  "just work"?
  * I've gotten a lot of this so that it should work with the current
  devel tree, although it needs testing.

* Wireless support during installation
  * Add a screen to the loader to get wireless settings
    * Showing this depends on whether iwconfig ioctls work or not
    * Need: essid, wep
  * Add support for setting these via kickstart
  * QUESTION: Do we expose this in the second stage?  I'm thinking
  not, but willing to be convinced otherwise.
  * This also is well under way (as of today), it's my current project.

* Rework langsupport screen
  * Current screen is non-sensical with what we actually do based on it.
  * Should just show groups with langonly in the comps file using
  those names.  Allows translation, clearer and provides the obvious
  way to do post-install
  * Should allow language class to become much simpler
  * Reworking lang-table in the process would be an added bonus
  * Charlie Bennett (ccb@xxxxxxxxxx) is investigating this

* Better support for driver disks from non-floppy sources
  * Allow from USB keys, etc (aka, any disk really)
  * If disk is partitioned, select partition and then give filename
    * First pass can use hdinstall.c stuff to select partition + enter
    the filename
    * Nicer would be directory browser

* New "migrate" upgrade option similar to what exists in OS X.
  * Preserve changed %config, other files in /etc and /var
  * Use versioned look-aside in /var
  * Then, nuke system dirs and do a fresh install
  * Migrate back hardware configuration
  * Paul Nasrat (pnasrat@xxxxxxxxxx) is investigating this.

* Partition resizing
  * Often requested, tricky to do and support.
  * UI thought would be to do it in editing an existing partition
  * Needs parted fixes to handle new ext[23] features

* Keyboard/mouse/monitor configuration
  * We really don't need to ask about anything other than keyboard on
  a GUI install.
  * If they can configure depth, etc all in firstboot, why not have
  them configure the monitor there too?
  * Could go to just _copying_ the install x config file
  * Brent Fox (bfox@xxxxxxxxxx) is investigating this

* Firewall/security screen UI improvements
  * Trusted devices goes away
  * Trusted ports -> dialog.  Add translations
  * SELinux needs to be put in here somehow better than it currently is.

* LVM support
  * A few weird failure cases sometimes, need better error handling
  * Are there new useful options to add?

* RAID support
  * Add support for RAID 6 - DONE
  * Possibly add support for RAID 10?
  * Better handling of "unsupported" pre-existing RAID levels
  * Multipathing?

* Handling of kickstart errors
  * Currently, errors in a ks.cfg result in a traceback.  We should
  give a nice error dialog instead.
  * Finish converting parser errors to raise KickstartError
  * Catch error, show dialog with exception logged
  * The big remaining difficulty is the kickstart config is parsed
  before the interface exists which could lead to different tracebacks.

* Internal logging functionality improvements
  * Add log levels
  * Don't display all of the debuginfo on tty3, but put in file, only
  showing the most critical stuff on tty3

* Ask about VNC on a text mode install
  * If we're unable to start X, ask if the user would like to do a VNC
  install.

* zfcp config support during installation
  * Newer s390 are using zfcp

* IPv6 support
  * Both for during the install and setup for post-install
  * Low priority with current IPv6 penetration

* Other miscellaneous things to consider
  * Traceback fingerprinting to make dupe hunting in bugzilla easier
  * Some objects are opaque in tracebacks, fix those up
  * Use LVM by default in auto-partitioning?
  * Make disk filtering in driveDict more modular
  * Driver disks for things that aren't scsi or network cards

Longer term, I have some more radical changes in mind, but with other
time constraints, I don't think it's really reasonable to even consider
them for FC3.

Jeremy