Re: rebuilding anaconda-9.0-4 src (fwd)

Meant for this to go to the list...james

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:42:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: James Olin Oden <joden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: rebuilding anaconda-9.0-4 src

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 14:02, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> > Sure.  I mean that it is easier to send out a patch to others than it is
> > to send out the src.rpm file.  It is also easier when the next version
> > of anaconda comes out to port your patches over to the new release (if
> > it hasn't been fixed in the newer version).  I started out using the tar
> > method, and I found that it was much easier to use patches.  I would
> > often have to make changes to newer version, and I had forgotten exactly
> > what I had done in the source.  Now, I can just look at the patches, and
> > copy them over to the newer version.
>
> It also makes it easier to get things included upstream so you don't
> have to keep including patches (*cough* *cough* ;-)
>
> Seriously, if anyone has any patches which they think could be at all
> generally interesting for anaconda, send them.  And pretty much anything
> that's not "s/RedHat/SomethingElse/g" is interesting, at least as a
> point to start discussion.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to create the following patches, but
before I forget to mention this again here are few simple enhancements
that I would like to see, and if I get a moment I might just create
patches for them:

	1) Anaconda needs to copy all of its logs to the hd, when its
	   done.  There is no log of the %pre and %post output that
	   gets copied to the disk (unless I missed this somehow).
	2) Last time I checked the logs that get generated for %post
	   %pre scriplets get overwritten when there are multiple
	   %post and %pre scriptlets.  These need to be in unique files.
	3) Finally, last I checked, and my memory is foggy here, it looked
   	   like certain logs (and I believe it was the %post log) was only
	   generated when you ran a serial install.  These logs can be
	   handy even from a normal VGA log (especially if it was an
	   automated install, and the user has rebooted...but then we
	   would need them on the hard drive (-;).

If these all seem like valid requests I will at least file a RFE bugzilla
report.

Cheers...james

Cheers,