Re: implantisomd5

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Paul Pianta wrote:

> i am looking at implanting the md5sum on my 'custom' cd and i have found
> the binary:
> /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/implantisomd5
>
> but im not sure how to use it.

	implantisomd5 (path_to_iso_image)

We use this in our build system exactly so and it works great.

> i dont know what the [--force] and [--supported] parameters mean/do and
> whether i even need to pass any parameters except just the .iso filename.

I would read the source if you really care to find out.  Its really tiny.
I patched it once (just to make it explicitly return a return code rather
than letting the return of the last print fall be the last thing on the
stack in main() and thus the return code).

Probably, just the usage you have figured out is just fine.

> and just to make sure im thinking right - is it just running the 'linux
> mediacheck' at the boot prompt that will verify this implanted md5sum?

In our build we implant the check sum and then immediately verify it with:

	checkisomd5 (path_to_iso_image)

> i guess the 'linux mediacheck' just does and md5sum and compares it to
> the implanted one?

It runs checkisomd5 which is part of anaconda-runtime.

> i also found this while i was googling around:
>
> "The code is borrowed from anaconda-7.3 source package from RedHat 7.3
> The purpose is that each iso9660 image will carry its own md5sum. Be
> care- ful as the implanted md5 is not the same as md5sum on the whole
> image."

In order to stored the md5 and not affect the generation of it later
the area where the md5 is stored is excluded from the checksum
calculation.  If they did not do that then a later checksum would have
the new bits from the implated md5 checksum and well they would not
match.  So if you run md5sum on an iso, you will not get the value
of the embeded checksum, and so you really need to use checkmd5sum to
validate the cdrom.

Hope that helps...james