Re: s/pdif output not working on Asus Xonar SE card

I'd try somethng like
amixer -c <card #> contents > somefile.txt
And then examine somefile.txt carefully.

There may be an enable/disable logical switch that nothing else picks
up.  Because SPDIF isn't that popular it may default to off.

I have a Pinebook Pro laptop and without proper software the speakers
don't turn off when you plug headphones in, and alsamixer doesn't
help.  amixer shows

umid=28,iface=MIXER,name='Speaker Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
  : values=on

And sure enough I can turn it off with this script:

#!/bin/bash
# Turn laptop speakers (always card 0) off
amixer -c0 cset numid=28 0

or back on with
amixer -c0 cset numid=28 on

You have to give cset the whole numid=nn to identify the control
uniquely.  There's a man page of course.  amixer on Debian is in
alsa-utils