Re: s/pdif output not working on Asus Xonar SE card

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 12:25:54 -0400, Mary Strimel wrote:
>I have a new Asus Xonar SE card that I have just installed. The analog
>speaker jack works, but S/PDIF out does not work. I have tried fiddling
>with every setting in alsamixer

Hi,

in my experiences with PCIe (RME), PCI (TerraTec) and USB (Focusrite)
SPDI without pulseaudio isn't an issue.

$ aplay -l | grep card
card 0: HDSPMx579bcc [RME AIO_579bcc], device 0: RME AIO [RME AIO]
card 1: EWX2496 [TerraTec EWX24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi]
card 3: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 3: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 3: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 3: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 3: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 4: USB [Scarlett 18i20 USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
$ arecord -l | grep card
card 0: HDSPMx579bcc [RME AIO_579bcc], device 0: RME AIO [RME AIO]
card 1: EWX2496 [TerraTec EWX24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi] card 4: USB [Scarlett 18i20 USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

You did not accidentally select a wrong card using alsamixer? The F6
key allows to chose a particular card.

FWIW my pro-sumer devices, the TerraTec and Scarlett work without
issues, but just 2 of the 8 ADAT channels of my professional RME card
do work. I never found a way to get all of them working with Linux.
I tested them installing FreeBSD and Windows and there they work/ed.

SPDIF works for all of them, IIRC whatever clock I select. Did you try
different clocks? What are "every settings" you tried?

FWIW I don't have got pulseaudio installed, I either use plain ALSA or
jack2. Did you test without pulseaudio?

Btw. while I didn't spend much time on it, HDMI audio works with Ubuntu
live media, but not with my Arch Linux install.

Does your card provide coaxial and optical SPDIF?

If I were you, I would at least for testing purpose get rid of
pulseaudio.

Sometimes Linux audio is fishy, sometimes a user's setup is fishy, but
in my experiences pulseaudio does ask for trouble and should be the
first thing get removed, to rule out pulseaudio related pitfalls, before
continuing trouble shooting, at least if nobody has got a better idea.

Regards,
Ralf

--
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”

― Charles Ives