Re: Fireworks

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 09:26:18AM +0900, Susie B wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 20:48:02 +0900, Takashi Sakamoto <o-takashi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The batch of code is required to implement control element according to
> > vendor-specific protocol. In my assumption, it may be additional 20,000 lines
> > or more in C language to whole drivers in ALSA firewire stack. This brings
> > tons of effort to maintain in kernel land.
>
> I'd like to thank you and all ALSA maintainers for their tremendous effort.
> (I always struggle with writing and maintaining far less lines of code in more friendly language, So...)
>
> > I've been working for
> > snd-firewire-ctl-service[1] to utilize the functionality for whole drivers in
> > ALSA firewire stack. When running 'snd-fireworks-ctl-service', you can see
> > any ALSA control applications such as amixer/alsamixer finds control
> > elements in sound card added for your Echo Audiofire 4.
>
> The service seems just for me. So I'd gladly try it.
> But Now I struggle with compilation of its dependency, alsa-gobject[1]
> I need a help about it.

The snd-firewire-ctl-services has dependencies to:
 - alsa-gobject
 - libhinawa

They are software I write, and have similar design. Both depends
on GLib/GObject with GObject Introspection.

GLib is a fundamental library for many applications, especially
appliations of GNOME desktop environment, therefore I guess that
you can easily find the way to resolve the dependency to build
GLib/GObject applications in Linux distributions which has desktop
environment.

GObject Introspection is used to produce FFI functionality for
language bindings. You can easily find the way to resolve the
dependency as well. Recent release of Gtk supports GObject
Introspection. As a tips, below files should be installed under
the directory in which libgirepository searches typelib.

 * ALSACtl-0.0.gir
 * ALSAHwdep-0.0.gir
 * ALSARawmidi-0.0.gir
 * ALSASeq-0.0.gir
 * ALSATimer-0.0.gir
 * Hinawa-3.0.gir

Additionally, alsa-gobject uses libudev to query kobject information
in sysfs filesystem. You can find many applications use libudev and
easily find the way to resolve dependency.

> Can I continue to ask for help in this thread?
> Or should I make a new thread or move to another mailing list below?

I don't mind which list you ask. I subscribe them. But in LAD, Len Ovens
reports his experience to test snd-fireworks-ctl-service and filed some
issues. You might get any help from him. Of cource, I can assist your
test.

> > [2] http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/RFT-ALSA-control-service-programs-for-Fireworks-board-module-td110065.html
> > [3] https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2020-July/171070.html
>
> [1] https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-gobject/