Re: Fireworks

Thank you for your reply, Sakamoto-san,

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 20:48:02 +0900, Takashi Sakamoto <o-takashi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The policy is still alive, at least within my work. ALSA fireworks
driver adds no control element to Linux system even if the kernel is the
latest.

I see. I'll seek other means for my AF4.

The batch of code is required to implement control element according to
vendor-specific protocol. In my assumption, it may be additional 20,000 lines
or more in C language to whole drivers in ALSA firewire stack. This brings
tons of effort to maintain in kernel land.

I'd like to thank you and all ALSA maintainers for their tremendous effort.
(I always struggle with writing and maintaining far less lines of code in more friendly language, So...)

I've been working for
snd-firewire-ctl-service[1] to utilize the functionality for whole drivers in
ALSA firewire stack. When running 'snd-fireworks-ctl-service', you can see
any ALSA control applications such as amixer/alsamixer finds control
elements in sound card added for your Echo Audiofire 4.

The service seems just for me. So I'd gladly try it.
But Now I struggle with compilation of its dependency, alsa-gobject[1]
I need a help about it.

Can I continue to ask for help in this thread?
Or should I make a new thread or move to another mailing list below?

[2] http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/RFT-ALSA-control-service-programs-for-Fireworks-board-module-td110065.html
[3] https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2020-July/171070.html

[1] https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-gobject/

Regards,