Re: Fireworks

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 07:20:00AM +0900, Sutie B. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry replying to an outdated thread below.
>
> Re: Fireworks
> https://sourceforge.net/p/alsa/mailman/message/35839069/
>
> In that thread, Mr.Thomas put a question with the alsamixer of the
> version 4.8 kernel.
>
> > A question came up of how to control it though. When I go to
> > alsamixer, it says the Audiofire 4 device has no controls.
>
> And replying to him, Sakamoto-san said
>
> >Exactly. ALSA fireworks driver, a.k.a snd-fireworks, adds no control
> >element sets in its control character device, thus you can no control
> >elements with amixer or alsamixer.
> >
> >I've been always explaining the reason as decrease of our maintenance
> >effort in kernel side.
>
> Recently I tried to the alsamixer of the kernel 4.4 for my AF4, and I
> also faced to the same situation as Mr.Thomas.
>
> So I would like to try newer kernels, if above policy has been changed
> and they have an alsamixer which has ordinary control element sets for
> AF4.
>
> Are there such kernels?
> Please let me know.

The policy is still alive, at least within my work. ALSA fireworks
driver adds no control element to Linux system even if the kernel is the
latest.

The batch of code is required to implement control element according to
vendor-specific protocol. In my assumption, it may be additional 20,000 lines
or more in C language to whole drivers in ALSA firewire stack. This brings
tons of effort to maintain in kernel land.

Well, ALSA control core has functionality to allow userspace applications
to add control element to arbitrary sound card. I've been working for
snd-firewire-ctl-service[1] to utilize the functionality for whole drivers in
ALSA firewire stack. When running 'snd-fireworks-ctl-service', you can see
any ALSA control applications such as amixer/alsamixer finds control
elements in sound card added for your Echo Audiofire 4.

You can see my Request-For-Test in LAD[2] and alsa-devel[3]. If you are
interested, let you satisfy build dependencies and try building and
testing.

[1] https://github.com/alsa-project/snd-firewire-ctl-services/
[2] http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/RFT-ALSA-control-service-programs-for-Fireworks-board-module-td110065.html
[3] https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2020-July/171070.html