Re: Fireworks

Hi,
(C.C.ed to alsa-user and ffado-user so that you can receive more helps
from the others.)

On May 14 2017 15:38, Jay Thomas wrote:
> I saw the great work you did in 4.8 linux kernel for audiofire support.
> Thanks so much for providing this support! Echo audio is the best.
>
> A question came up of how to control it though. When I go to alsamixer, it
> says the Audiofire 4 device has no controls.

Exactly. ALSA fireworks driver, a.k.a snd-fireworks, adds no control
element sets in its control character device, thus you can no control
elements with amixer or alsamixer.

I've been always explaining the reason as decrease of our maintenance
effort in kernel side.

> I also tried echomixer and there is no way to control it there either.
> Is there a control app available to control the audiofire devices? Do I
> have to use ffado control app to control it? Is there a generic SBP app
> that you use? Thanks for any helpful tips on this part of it and hope
> you don't mind me contacting you.

I continue to develop hinawa-utils[1] and libhinawa[2] for such
application. However, as long as I know, there's no users in this world,
just except for me.

Stuffs developed by ffado project are also available with ALSA fireworks
driver.

Anyway, please have enough care of your permissions to firewire
character device (/dev/fw*).

> Looking forward to using your new kernel code with my Echo firewire
> devices! Thanks again for all you do.

I note that ALSA fireworks driver still causes periodical noise due to
protocol implementation. In detail, please refer to my former post[3].

[1] https://github.com/takaswie/hinawa-utils
[2] https://github.com/takaswie/libhinawa
[3]
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2017-April/120061.html