Re: sans-pulseaudio Firefox? was: a strange thing

Hi!

Firstly, I posted to my fellow Gentoo users here:

from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/320724

where I wrote I would try and get an opinion about it (construing it as
citation):

> I'll try and ask on Alsa-user whether this decision makes a real
> threat to remain without audio for all users who want to stick with
> pure ALSA (I will never install pulseaudio).

It's about the bug page on Mozilla that now promises to make pulseaudio
a requirement to play sound in Linux by Firefox52.

So how likely that really is to become true, anybody (esp. ALSA devs, if
you are reading, like also Ralf Mardorf, who is not affiliated with
ALSA, but is a developer ;-) )?

---

And, on another note, below.

On 161201-11:10-0600, James Shatto wrote:
> I've used alsa and firefox.  By default java (in debian) is configured
> for pulseaudio.
>
> FILE: /etc/java-7-openjdk/sound.properties

> FILE: .asoundrc
> ### for pulseaudio
> #ctl.pulse { type pulse fallback sysdefault }
> #pcm.pulse { type pulse fallback sysdefault }
> #ctl.!default { type pulse fallback sysdefault }
> #pcm.!default { type pulse fallback sysdefault }
> ### for alsa
> defaults.ctl.card 0
> defaults.pcm.card 0
> defaults.pcm.device 0
>
> - James

I thought Debianers need to be aware of this post of yours, so I posted
where they might find more easily it:

Firefox nightly requires Pulse Audio
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=130028&p=631558#p631558

Regards!