Re: Setup Alsa on Arch linux

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 16:53:25 +0100, Csányi Pál wrote:
> How can one build an empty dummy package for pulseaudio?

Create a new directory and then a file named:
PKGBUILD

With this contend:

pkgname=pulseaudio
pkgver=2014.01.06
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Dummy package"
arch=('any')
provides=('pulseaudio')

After that run:
$ makepkg
$ sudo pacman -U pulseaudio-2014.01.06-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

> $ pacman -Q pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa
> error: package 'pulseaudio' was not found
> error: package 'pulseaudio-alsa' was not found

> but the output of the following command is ( the pulseaudio and
> pulseaudio-alsa packages are there! ):
>
> $ pacman -Ss pulse
> extra/pulseaudio 5.0-1
>     A featureful, general-purpose sound server
> extra/pulseaudio-alsa 2-3
>     ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio

Read about the Q (on your system) and S (on the server) options. Non of
the packages is marked as "[installed]".

> > For my cards I ensured that they always have the same order after
> > startup:
> >
> > $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
> > # ALSA module ordering
> > options snd slots=snd_hdspm,snd_ice1712,snd_ice1712
>
> When I run this command I get:
> $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
> options snd slots=snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio
> options snd_hda_intel index=0
> options snd_usb_audio index=-2

The slot method is new and the index method is old. I don't know if
your index lines have any impact to something else, but for the order
after startup, the slot line should be all you need.

> Now when I record ( I have running Jackd already ) my desktop with
> Qt-recordMyDesktop I can select record device in it: system:capture_1
> ( there are no other capture devices out there ). I suppose this
> device is the microphone of my webcam.
> But, when I play the recorded video I can't hear my voice there. Why?

Are you starting jackd by command line or using QjackCtl?
Please quote the command line you're using or
$ cat .jackdrc
to show what settings QjackCtl used.

Regards,
Ralf

PS:
For audio related questions consider to join the Arch Audio
discuss mailing list [1] and/or the Linux audio user mailing list [2].
For Arch package related questions consider to use the Arch General
mailing list [3]. In my experiences those lists fit better to the
issue you're experiencing, even while the ALSA list should be ok too.

[1]
https://archaudio.org:10000/virtualmin-mailman/unauthenticated/listinfo.cgi/archaudio-discuss
[2]
[3]