Re: Setup Alsa on Arch linux

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 18:38:33 +0100, Csányi Pál wrote:
>> Uninstall any pulse package except:
>> libao
>> libpulse
>> lib32-libpulse
>>
>> These can't be purged because of dependencies with other applications
>> ( like xulrunner, etc. ).
>
> I build an empty dummy package for pulseaudio, the other packages
> shouldn't cause issues.

How can one build an empty dummy package for pulseaudio?

> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q libao libpulse lib32-libpulse
> pulseaudio-alsa audacity libao 1.2.0-1
> libpulse 5.0-1
> error: package 'lib32-libpulse' was not found
> pulseaudio-alsa 2-3
> audacity 2.0.6-1

Well, the output of the following command is ( look for the two errors ):
$ pacman -Q libao libpulse lib32-libpulse pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa
audacity libao
libao 1.2.0-1
libpulse 5.0-1
lib32-libpulse 5.0-1
error: package 'pulseaudio' was not found
error: package 'pulseaudio-alsa' was not found
audacity 2.0.6-1
libao 1.2.0-1

but the output of the following command is ( the pulseaudio and
pulseaudio-alsa packages are there! ):

$ pacman -Ss pulse
extra/libao 1.2.0-1 [installed]
    Cross-platform audio output library and plugins
extra/libcanberra-pulse 0.30-4
    PulseAudio plugin for libcanberra
extra/libpulse 5.0-1 [installed]
    A featureful, general-purpose sound server (client library)
extra/paprefs 0.9.10-3
    A simple GTK-based configuration dialog for PulseAudio
extra/pavucontrol 2.0-2
    A GTK volume control for PulseAudio
extra/pulseaudio 5.0-1
    A featureful, general-purpose sound server
extra/pulseaudio-alsa 2-3
    ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio
community/floyd 2.0.1-5
    displays system load with pulse of keyboard LED
community/libcec 2.2.0-1
    Pulse-Eight's libcec for the Pulse-Eight USB-CEC adapter
community/mate-media-pulseaudio 1.8.0-3 (mate-extra)
    MATE Media Tools (pulseaudio)
community/mate-settings-daemon-pulseaudio 1.8.2-3 (mate)
    The MATE Settings daemon (pulseaudio)
community/ponymix 4-1
    CLI PulseAudio Volume Control
community/projectm-pulseaudio 2.1.0-9
    ProjectM support for Pulseaudio
multilib/lib32-libcanberra-pulse 0.30-4
    PulseAudio plugin for libcanberra (32-bit)
multilib/lib32-libpulse 5.0-1 [installed]
    A featureful, general-purpose sound server (32-bit client libraries)

I don't understand why these two packages was not found:
'pulseaudio' and 'pulseaudio-alsa' was not found?

So when I run
$ pacman -Qi pulseaudio
I get
error: package 'pulseaudio' was not found

> For my cards I ensured that they always have the same order after
> startup:
>
> $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
> # ALSA module ordering
> options snd slots=snd_hdspm,snd_ice1712,snd_ice1712

When I run this command I get:
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
options snd slots=snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio
options snd_hda_intel index=0
options snd_usb_audio index=-2

> Did you reboot after removing pulseaudio and setting up ALSA?
> Did you select ALSA by Audacities preferences?

Yes, I did reboot after removing pulseaudio and setting up ALSA.
Audacity can't started at all.

I solve the audacity problem by reinstalling audacity package.
Now I can run audacity.

> For me only ALSA is available, resp. if I launch jackd before starting
> Audacity, I can select between ALSA and jackd.

When if I launch Jackd before starting Audacity I can select between
ALSA, OSS and Jack Audio Connection Kit too:
when Jackd selected, there are:
playback device: system ( and that option is available only )
recording device: system ( and that option is available only )

and this recording device is in my webcam ( I know this because I
haven't any other microphone and with it I can racord my voice in
audacity ),

when ALSA selected, there are three options:
playback device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Digital (hw:0,1)
playback device: iec958
playback device: spdif

recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Analog (hw:0,0): Front Mic:0
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Analog (hw:0,0): Rear Mic:0
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Analog (hw:0,0): Line:0
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Analog (hw:0,0): Front Mic:1
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Analog (hw:0,0): Rear Mic:1
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Analog (hw:0,0): Line:1

recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Alt Analog (hw:0,2): Front Mic:0
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Alt Analog (hw:0,2): Rear Mic:0
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Alt Analog (hw:0,2): Line:0
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Alt Analog (hw:0,2): Front Mic:1
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Alt Analog (hw:0,2): Rear Mic:1
recording device: HDA NVidia: ALC883 Alt Analog (hw:0,2): Line:1

sysdefault: Front Mic:0
sysdefault: Rear Mic:0
sysdefault: Line:0

sysdefault: Front Mic:1
sysdefault: Rear Mic:1
sysdefault: Line:1

and none of these recording devices works in audacity.

What I did to setup ALSA on my system are followings:

did run asoundconf-gtk and get files:
~/.asoundrc.asoundconf
and
~/.asoundrc ( probably because I can't remember whether create it
manually after run of asoundconf-gtk ? )

Content of my ~/.asoundrc file is:
# Include settings that are under the control of asoundconf(1).
# (To disable these settings, comment out this line.)
</home/cspal/.asoundrc.asoundconf>

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm {
        @func getenv
        vars [ ALSAPCM ]
        default "hw:NVidia"
    }
}

pcm.usb
{
    type hw
    card U0x46d0x808
}

pcm.!default
{
    type asym
    playback.pcm
    {
           type plug
           slave.pcm "dmix"
    }
    capture.pcm
    {
           type plug
           slave.pcm "usb"
    }
}

Content of my /etc/asound.conf file is:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm {
        @func getenv
        vars [ ALSAPCM ]
        default "hw:NVidia"
    }
}

ctl.equal {
    type equal;
}

pcm.plugequal {
    type equal;
    # Modify the line below if you do not
    # want to use sound card 0.
    #slave.pcm "plughw:0,0";
    # by default we want to play from more sources at time:
    slave.pcm "plug:dmix";
}

# pcm.equal {
# If you do not want the equalizer to be your
# default soundcard comment the following
# line and uncomment the above line. (You can
# choose it as the output device by addressing
# it with specific apps,eg mpg123 -a equal 06.Back_In_Black.mp3)
pcm.!default {
    type plug;
    slave.pcm plugequal;
}

Now when I record ( I have running Jackd already ) my desktop with
Qt-recordMyDesktop I can select record device in it: system:capture_1
( there are no other capture devices out there ). I suppose this
device is the microphone of my webcam.
But, when I play the recorded video I can't hear my voice there. Why?

--
Regards from Pal