Re: Buyers guide for new card with good alsa support?

> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Thomas Lindroth wrote:
>> What I'm left with is a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express and
>> a TerraTec Aureon 7.1 PCIe. Do they work? The alsa wiki says that the
>> X-Fi Xtreme is not supported but various other sites say it is.
>
> Are those other sites about the PCIe version, and do they mention the
> features you need?
It was just speculation on an ubuntu forum. It hard to find any reliable
information. It might work with the hda-intel patch_ca0110 driver is all
the info I got.

Looking in /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf if found the line
# default with dmix+softvol & dsnoop

I assume that means all hda-intel based card use softvol so they are not
interesting anyway in that case.

> The chip on the Aureon 7.1 PCIe should be supported since kernel 3.18
> (which is _very_ new).
Looking closer on that Aureon 7.1 PCIe it turned out to use the same
plug for mic and line-in. That would be inconvenient. All the
Xonar DX/DSX/DGX got the same problem.

> The Xonar D2X has digital inputs, but is overpriced.
Looks like it got all the inputs I want. Mic, line-in and optical in. Is
the linux support stable? Do all the inputs work in linux? Does it have
hardware volume control, hardware loopback for line-in and hardware
volume for line-in and mic? It's pricey at $156 USD but if it got all
the support I need it could be worth it.

The alsa wiki claims "Xonar XD/XDG" doesn't have hardware volume
support. Is that a typo or is there a Xonar XD card?

If I scrap the optical digital in requirement the best I can find seems
to be a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX 7.1 PCIe (SB1550). It should
use the snd_emu10k1 driver just like my old sound blaster live so
hopefully it should fulfill all my requirements. It doesn't have optical
in but neither did my SD live. Are there any obvious problems with this
card? It's only $85 so it seems like my best option.