Re: Buyers guide for new card with good alsa support?

Thomas Lindroth wrote:
> Looking in /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf if found the line
> # default with dmix+softvol & dsnoop
>
> I assume that means all hda-intel based card use softvol so they are not
> interesting anyway in that case.

hda-intel-based cards _can_ use softvol, if needed.
Most don't actually need it.

> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> The Xonar D2X has digital inputs, but is overpriced.
>
> Looks like it got all the inputs I want. Mic, line-in and optical in. Is
> the linux support stable?

Yes, the D2 is the model used by the driver's author.

> Do all the inputs work in linux? Does it have hardware volume control,
> hardware loopback for line-in and hardware volume for line-in and mic?

Yes.  Yes, yes and no and yes.

(The line-in has enough headroom that lack of volume should not matter.)

> The alsa wiki claims "Xonar XD/XDG" doesn't have hardware volume
> support. Is that a typo or is there a Xonar XD card?

The wiki has no "XD" card.  And all the entries link to the vendor's web
pages.

The DG(X) is the only card with line-in volume, but has no line-out
volume.

Regards,
Clemens