Re: ASUS Xonar Essence STX/low impedance (16-32 ohm) headphones support

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, chris hermansen wrote:

> Clemens and list,

> > > That has to do with the capabilities of the amplifier on board the sound card,
> > > not the settings of the card. The amplifier needs to be able to deliver high
> > > current and have a low output impedence-- ie  it is a hardware issue.
> > > Not at all sure what the impdence settings on the card would do.
> >
> > The "impedance" setting just lowers the volume.  (<300 ? and <64 ? are
> > -6 dB and -18 dB.)  I didn't think this was worth implementing in the
> > Linux driver, but people whined until I did.
> >
> > It is certainly possible to add a fourth setting.

In the advertising bunff from the company, they have graphs with horrendously
unequal frequency response ( a huge bump in the middle of the spectrum) and
they say that the impedance setting boost bass and treble more than mids to
equalize it. Now that could be just marketing having no idea, or it could mean
that the designers designed a horrendous output stage with large capacitive
and inductive loadings so that into low impedances, they took over and
produced very bad frequency response, and those setting stuck in compensatory
bass and treble boosts.  But you might also be right that this is all
marketing.

> > Being charitable, this might not be a HiFi Voodoo stunt by Asus
> > marketing, but an honest attempt at preventing unhealthily loud
> > output levels ...

Or to prevent distortion since the low impedance may demand too much current
for the drivers at higher amplitudes.