Re: ASUS Xonar Essence STX/low impedance (16-32 ohm) headphones support

Clemens and list,

On Apr 30, 2014 12:07 AM, "Clemens Ladisch" <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bill Unruh wrote:
> >
> > That has to do with the capabilities of the amplifier on board the sound card,
> > not the settings of the card. The amplifier needs to be able to deliver high
> > current and have a low output impedence-- ie  it is a hardware issue.
> > Not at all sure what the impdence settings on the card would do.
>
> The "impedance" setting just lowers the volume.  (<300 Ω and <64 Ω are
> -6 dB and -18 dB.)  I didn't think this was worth implementing in the
> Linux driver, but people whined until I did.
>
> It is certainly possible to add a fourth setting.
>
> Being charitable, this might not be a HiFi Voodoo stunt by Asus
> marketing, but an honest attempt at preventing unhealthily loud
> output levels ...

As someone who has benefitted from your incredible support over (at least) the last few years...

Wow. I sit at your feet master to benefit from your teachings on being charitable. Evidently I have a great deal more to learn on this matter (to say the least).