Re: ASUS Xonar Essence STX/low impedance (16-32 ohm) headphones support

On 29/04/14 15:52, Balduin Waldmeister wrote:
> Hello and THX for ALSA - I'm using it on Ubuntu/Linux Mint to get the
> best out of my ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card and it just works great.
>
> The new STX *II* has (on Windows at least) an interesting feature for
> use with low impedance (< 32 ohm) headphones, see Impeccable headphone
> amplification <http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards/Essence_STX_II/> (below
> "Exquisite headphone gain control" oh the linked ASUS site).
> Unfortunately this is the only upgrade from STX -> STX *II* that I would
> need regarding my low impedance headphones (22 - 25 ohm e.g., Denon
> AH-D7100) and of course that's not worth buying a new and rather
> expensive sound card. Furthermorde I'd need that feature on Linux and
> not on Windows.
>
> So my question is whether it's possible to add the low impedance support
> (16 - 32 ohm) to ALSA for use with the old STX? Currently it stops at
> the normal gain setting (< 64 ohm).
>
> Best regards,
> detlev24

> Instantly run your Selenium tests across 300+ browser/OS combos.  Get
> unparalleled scalability from the best Selenium testing platform available.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/SauceLabs

FWIW I have the STX card. as I've had it for about a year I assume its
not a *11"

I run both Linux Mint 16 and openSUSE 12.3 on the box the card is in.

I have never run it in Windows.

On LM 16 I use the pulseaudio mixer which when switched to headphone
output does not provide the low impedance option.  On openSUSE 12.3
using the kmix mixer from KDE3 I get 3 impedance options to choose from.

Not sure how it helps you but the option you want is certainly available
here on openSUSE.

Something for ALSA devs to answer ?

Michael