Re: ASUS Xonar Essence STX/low impedance (16-32 ohm) headphones support

On 29/04/14 17:08, Bill Unruh wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014, michael norman wrote:
>
>> On 29/04/14 15:52, Balduin Waldmeister wrote:
>>> Hello and THX for ALSA - I'm using it on Ubuntu/Linux Mint to get the
>>> best out of my ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card and it just works
>>> great.
>>>
>>> The new STX *II* has (on Windows at least) an interesting feature for
>>> use with low impedance (< 32 ohm) headphones, see Impeccable headphone
>>> amplification <http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards/Essence_STX_II/> (below
>>> "Exquisite headphone gain control" oh the linked ASUS site).
>>> Unfortunately this is the only upgrade from STX -> STX *II* that I would
>>> need regarding my low impedance headphones (22 - 25 ohm e.g., Denon
>>> AH-D7100) and of course that's not worth buying a new and rather
>>> expensive sound card. Furthermorde I'd need that feature on Linux and
>>> not on Windows.
>>>
>>> So my question is whether it's possible to add the low impedance support
>>> (16 - 32 ohm) to ALSA for use with the old STX? Currently it stops at
>>> the normal gain setting (< 64 ohm).
>
> That has to do with the capabilities of the amplifier on board the sound
> card,
> not the settings of the card. The amplifier needs to be able to deliver
> high
> current and have a low output impedence-- ie  it is a hardware issue.
> Not at all sure what the impdence settings on the card would do. Maybe the
> output impedence has a reactive part and thus one would get a bad frequency
> response on lower impedence. That would indicate a badly designed output
> stage. Having looked at the advertising that seems to be what it is.
> Instead
> of saying  "we badly designed the output stage, and these settings are a
> half
> assed attempt to compensate" they make it sound like a positive feature.
> And what's with the swappable op-amps, which "allow users to create
> different
> timbres and tonal combinations." which sounds nuts to me. A sound card
> should
> take the input and produce an output which was an exact copy of the
> input. Not
> something that "creates different timbres and tonal combinations."
>
> Note that buying a separate headphone amp for the soundcard might be the
> way
> to go, rather than buying a new soundcard.

Lets be quite clear here the Essence STX was specifically designed for
music listening particularly on headphones

see the ASUS site

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STX/

In my experience it does everything they say it does.

None of what you say makes any sense related to the OPs question

Michael.