Re: Can't play midi on external Midi piano

Klaus Reimer wrote:
> On 27.04.2014 12:28, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Do you get anything when you disable Local Control and use aconnect to
>> connect the keyboard to itself (24:0 -> 24:0)?
>
> Disabling local control didn't help.

It's just to prevent double notes when using loopback.

> But "aconnect 24:0 24:0" fixed it, thanks!
> [...] why can't I just connect vbkeybd to the external piano? I don't
> understand why it is necessary to connect the piano to itself. Is there
> a logical explanation?

There is no difference regarding the output port itself.  I'd guess that
the device assumes that someone will always read from its capture port,
and when nobody does, and that buffer overflows, the output direction is
also affected.

Please try just "aconnect 24 14" (i.e., reading data and throwing it
away) and then playing something to 24:0.

Does the keyboard send anything when you're not pressing keys?

Regards,
Clemens