Re: Can't play midi on external Midi piano

On 27.04.2014 12:28, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Do you get anything when you disable Local Control and use aconnect to
> connect the keyboard to itself (24:0 -> 24:0)?

Disabling local control didn't help. But "aconnect 24:0 24:0" fixed it,
thanks!

But I don't understand why this helps. Timidity is only listed as output
device, vkeybd is only listed as input device and my piano is listed as
both because it can output music und can be used for music input. So
when I can simply connect vkeybd directly to timdity, why can't I just
connect vbkeybd to the external piano? I don't understand why it is
necessary to connect the piano to itself. Is there a logical
explanation? I would understand it if I disabled local control and I
still want to play locally. Then the piano would send the Midi data to
the computer (Input 24:0) alsa would redirect it back to the piano
(output 24:0) and the piano would play it. But when the input is done by
a different device (vkeybd) or a MIDI file then why do I have to connect
the piano input to the piano output to be able to use the piano just as
an output device?

--
Klaus Reimer <http://www.ailis.de/~k/>
[2FC4 CCA0 C03B 1E5F 1ACC 94D6 6461 426C E734 75A1]