LogiLink 7.1 USB. C-Media CM106. Digital-In not working

Hi,

I have a LogiLink 7.1 USB soundcard. lsusb reports:

   ID 0d8c:0102 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM106 Like Sound Device

All analog in- and outputs work fine. I haven't tested digital-out yet,
but do have problems with the digital input, which I need desperately.

When I start "arecord -f cd | aplay", connect the digital-out of a
cd-player to the digital-in of the card and listen to the analog
output, I only get a strong hiss on one of the front-channels. When
I omit the "-f cd" I get darker noise (about two octaves lower) on
both front-channels. When I use "-f dat" instead, I get the same
hiss as with "-f cd", when I use "-f cdr" I get no sound but the
message that the endianess is wrong.

The output of the cd-player is ok, verified with a stand-alone DAC.
Unfortunately I have no digital source with 32 oder 48 kHz to test
with.

Does someone has this card or one with the same chip and could check
please if the digital input works or not? Perhaps mine is simply
defective.

If you need additional information, please let me know!

Thanks a lot,
Martin