Re: teac UD-H01, bad 24 bit playback

Dear Chris,

I tried again with pulse disabled completely and that makes no
difference. My laptop only has usb 2.0 ports but I also tried the dac on
an express card usb 3 adapter (which works fine at usb 3 speed with an
external hard disk) and that makes no difference either.

My usb cables are really different, one is a high grade 1,5m cable. The
other one is just a 2m basic printer cable. Thing are not worse with the
basic cable than with the expensive one...

I do not have any other dacs, but I tried the same dac with different
computers. Under Ubuntu (a somewhat older release running kernel 3.9) I
have the same issue. On a windows laptop things worked fine (hard to
admit) with the same cable as before. I had to install the driver _and_
the media player provided by teac to get things working though. The TEAC
media player told me it was sending the data to the dac at 24/88.2 but I
have to take its word for it.

Finally, this is what I see in /proc/asound/card1/stream0

$ cat stream0
TEAC TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE at usb-0000:03:00.0-2, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 3
    Altset = 2
    Packet Size = 88
    Momentary freq = 80188 Hz (0xa.0600)
    Feedback Format = 16.16
  Interface 3
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 3 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
  Interface 3
    Altset 2
    Format: S24_3LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 3 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000
    Data packet interval: 125 us

So it does seem that the dac is running in 24 bit mode. The momentary
frequency varies and reaches 96000 at times (on a 88200kHz file), is
that normal?