teac UD-H01, bad 24 bit playback

Hi,

I have difficulties with the TEAC UD-H01 usb dac. Playback is fine in 16
bit mode (even at sample rates up to 192kHz), but in 24 bit mode there
is an incredible amount of jitter (continuous clicking) at any sample
rate above 48kHz. Admittedly, there should be little (if any) audible
difference passing from 16 to 24 bits, but still it should work.

After discovering this by playing music through rhythmbox and
pulseaudio, I have tested  by converting a wav-file to different
combinations of sample-size/sample-rates and playing directly through
aplay. So the problem seems to come from the alsa driver. Any hints on
what to try?

PS using kernel 3.11.10 on fedora 18.