Re: teac UD-H01, bad 24 bit playback

Rutger et all,

On Dec 15, 2013 9:38 AM, "Rutger Noot" <rutger.noot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have difficulties with the TEAC UD-H01 usb dac. Playback is fine in 16
> bit mode (even at sample rates up to 192kHz), but in 24 bit mode there
> is an incredible amount of jitter (continuous clicking) at any sample
> rate above 48kHz. Admittedly, there should be little (if any) audible
> difference passing from 16 to 24 bits, but still it should work.
>
> After discovering this by playing music through rhythmbox and
> pulseaudio, I have tested  by converting a wav-file to different

Rhythmbox uses Pulse as far as I know, and Pulse resamples again AFAIK. At least I have never been able to convince Pulse to "leave things alone". Pulse then passes the resampled stuff to Alsa.

Players that I know that will play directly to Alsa: mpd, QuodLibet, Guayadeque.

> combinations of sample-size/sample-rates and playing directly through
> aplay. So the problem seems to come from the alsa driver. Any hints on
> what to try?
>
> PS using kernel 3.11.10 on fedora 18.

With aplay have you tried using the plughw output device associated with the Teac unit?

You can figure that out with "aplay -l" and/or "aplay -L".

Do you have other USB cables to try?

If none of those help you need to send some diagnostic info... The two aplay outputs above and I guess the output of "lsusb".