Re: Alsa does not have any controls for iO4

Martin G wrote:
> a discussion on the Audacity forums led me to believe
> it would be normal to see controls in this interface.

Most devices have mixer controls there.  But controls that are
implemented as hardware knobs typically aren't accessible
through software.

> My situation is that when I look at the Pulse Volume Control
> interface, it seems to indicate it is receiving input from the iO4
> device. However, Audacity and other software do not seem to receive
> any input. The audio host setting in Audacity is "ALSA", and there are
> no other audio host options.
>
> So... my reasoning is that if the Pulse Volume control can see the
> device, but Audacity can't, and Audacity is using ALSA... then might
> it not be the case that ALSA is failing?

PulseAudio is using ALSA, and Audacity is using the PulseAudio ALSA
interface which also goes through PulseAudio.

What do you get if you record directly through ALSA, with a command
like this?

    arecord -D plughw:iO4 -f cd -c 4 -d 10 test.wav

Regards,
Clemens