Re: A question about reporting sound cards

Bill, list;

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2013, chris hermansen wrote:
>
>> Good people;
>>
>> I believe that I should report my sound card status on the Alsa sound
>> cards page, but before I do that I have a few questions.
>>
>> My Audioquest DragonFly does not appear there, and I now believe it
>

> This is somewhat off topic, but I am wondering about the DragonFly. It seems
> an incredibly expensive usb soundcard, which moreover does only output and
> not
> input. Its claim to do better than the onboard sound card is setting an
> absurdly low standard, since many onboard soundcards are simply attrocious.
> And the price of it I  saw in an airline SkyMall booklet yesterday is pretty
> steep ( $250 or so). Certainly the company's claims for their speaker cables
> are pure gobbldygook,
> and makes me want to lump them in with other companies as  sellers of hype
> rather than product. So I am asking someone who has one why they bought it--
> what are its
> advantages?

Bill, always being ready to be pulled off topic, I will do my best to
give you a reasoned response to your question.  If anyone is concerned
we are hijacking the thread, please say so and we can move on.

I wanted an external DAC/headphone amp for several reasons:

0) the sound card in my System76 Gazelle laptop is noticeably not
great, though I would not call it atrocious - music sounds "closed in"
or "airless" over both of my headphones (Etymotic in-ear and AKG 701
over-ear)
1) I travel a lot; probably 40% of my time is spent away from family
home and stereo, so I take my music with me on my laptop with my
Etymotic in-ear phones
2) in those long quiet evenings away, I don't watch TV; I have Skype,
my Kindle and my music
3) given 1-3) above, improving my enjoyment through a better sound
card is a pretty reasonable thing to do

To improve my "away" music experience, I used to drag my Headroom
Total Bit Head along with me, but a few months ago I gave it to my son
who for the time being has only a headphone / laptop option.  By the
way it was $150 or so when I bought it a few years back.

I have looked at a number of alternatives, but I'm no equipment tester
/ audio critic, nor do I have a lot of time to try to arrange a
try-out of various different solutions.  However here in Vancouver The
Headphone Bar is a nice place to go and try out some of the options.
The equipment they sell ranges from just under $100 or so on up.  They
don't stock anything that I would call "really crazy" (like DCS or MSB
who both weigh in at over $10,000), but they don't sell the same
chipset you get for free in your laptop in an external case for $40
either.

The option they had that seemed to best fit my needs was the
DragonFly, for the following reasons:

0) I don't record
1) I wanted something that could play 44.1/16 and higher resolution files
2) I wanted something that could easily drive my AKG 701s when I listen at home
3) I liked the analogue volume control
4) I like the "asynchronous" USB protocol
5) I liked the fact that it generates enough volts to drive my stereo
if I ever need it to
6) I liked the size (basically a heavy USB stick
7) AudioQuest has a reputation of making good quality equipment (not
using cheap connectors etc)
8) the reviews I have seen have been positive
9) I think the price is, if not reasonable, at least competitive, in
comparison to what else is available at the Headphone Bar
10) I like buying stuff at the Headphone Bar (good to support a local
store trying to give good service)

I don't know if that answers your question.

I tend to be somewhat wary of snake oil myself, especially when it
comes to audio.  I guess everyone's thresholds are different, but for
me a well-designed, well-built, well-received, good-sounding
DAC/headphone amp that takes up no space and doesn't need all sorts of
extra cables and power adapters and stuff and that costs $250 - I
don't see a lot of snake oil in that.

>> works (ie I have convinced myself my earlier problems were with the
>> sole USB-2 port on my laptop, since the device works fine on the USB-3
>> ports).  Still, I think my experience trying to get it to work with my
>> laptop and various ports might be of use to someone.  Do I report that
>> info in the listing?
>

> Of course.

Ok I will, thanks for the advice!

--