Re: Downmixing 5.1 to 2.1 with Xonar D1 card?

> Replace "plughw:0" with "dmix:0".  This will give you the two channels

> of the standard dmix device; if you want to output four channels, you
> also have to redefine the dmix device used by "default".

Hi,

I've rewritten my device definition as follows:

pcm.51to21 {
    type route
    slave {
        pcm "dmix:0"
    }

    # Front and rear, at 33% of original signal strength
    ttable.0.0 0.58
    ttable.1.1 0.58
    ttable.2.0 0.58
    ttable.3.1 0.58

    # Centre channel routing (routed to front-left and front-right),
    # 6dB gaindrop (gain half of main channels) per channel
    ttable.4.0 0.57
    ttable.4.1 0.57

    ttable.5.2 1
}

However, the dmix:0 device doesn't seem to be able to share the hardware either! I still have to wait about 5 seconds for the "default" device to release the hardware in order to avoid this error:

$ aplay -Dplug:51to21 receive.wav
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:682: audio open error: Device or resource busy

Isn't the dmix device supposed to be sharable? Or am I misunderstanding what the dmix plugin is supposed to do? I was expecting the following to play the same WAV file twice, simultaneously:

$ aplay -Dplug:51to21 receive.wav & aplay receive.wav

However, it actually serialises them both instead.

Thanks for any advice here,
Cheers,
Chris