Downmixing 5.1 to 2.1 with Xonar D1 card?

Reposted, in attempt to get Sourceforge to format it correctly:

Hi,

 have a Xonar D1 PCI sound card, and am trying to play a 5.1 audio
stream through my 2.1 speakers using xine. (Xine is actually playing the
 DVB stream from a HD TV channel, and this TV channel switches between
2.1 and 5.1 audio, depending on the programme). The default ALSA
surround51 device only plays a few of the 5.1 audio channels through my
speakers, so I have added the following new "downmixing" device to my
.asoundrc instead:

pcm.51to21 {
        type route
        slave {
                pcm "plughw:0"
                channels 3
        }

        # Front and rear, at 33% of original signal strength
        ttable.0.0 0.58
        ttable.1.1 0.58
        ttable.2.0 0.58
        ttable.3.1 0.58

        # Centre channel routing (routed to front-left and front-right),
        # 6dB gaindrop (gain half of main channels) per channel
        ttable.4.0 0.57
        ttable.4.1 0.57

        ttable.5.2 1
}

This
 seems to do a reasonable job, but has a fatal flaw - it cannot share
the hardware with the "default" 2.1 PCM device! In fact, it takes at
least 5 seconds for the "default" device to surrender the hardware so
that xine can open my "51to21" device instead.

Is there a way of using the dmix plugin so that these two distinct PCM devices can share the hardware, please?

Thanks for any assistance,
Cheers,
Chris