Re: using a bluetooth headset

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> No; it appears that Skype reads the list of devices from the configuration file.

   OK, it's not a kernel driver, but anyway, skype uses both the kernel
   drivers (from /proc) and the alsa config file, and it seems abnormal
   that other programs, including alsamixer, are unable to do that.

>>> To get mixer controls, add a definition like this:
>>>
>>> ctl.bluetooth {
>>>     type bluetooth
>>> }
>>>
>>> and select it manually in alsamixer.
>>    that didn't work, i.e. I still don't see the headset in alsamixer (via F6)
>
> That list shows only kernel drivers; enter the device name manually.
    that doesn't work: after typing the device name, alsamixer crashes
    with the message:
        cannot load mixer controls: Broken pipe

    and even if it worked, that would not tell me how to use the headset in
    audio programs like vlc ( with aplay, -D bluetooth works)

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel