Re: Xonar D1: how do I record what I hear?

On 01/15/2012 05:52 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 01/15/2012 05:31 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> I've been using a Soundblaster Live 24-bit in the past, and with it I
>>> could select "mix" as the input source in alsamixer (in Windows it was
>>> called "What U Hear", IIRC). This way I could record whatever the card
>>> was playing.
>>>  [...]
>>
>> The Xonar hardware does not have this capability.
>>  [...]
>> The Windows driver emulates this in software
>[...]
> Is it possible to tell ALSA to do that by software, just like Windows
> can do?

OK, I thought of a hacky way of doing this.  The Xonar hardware is able
to upmix stereo to 4, 6 and 8 channels.  In alsamixer, this is
controlled by the "Stereo Upmixing" control.  If I set it to
"Front+Surround", I can keep my speakers plugged in in the "front" jack,
and connect the jack next to it to the line-in jack.  Then I can select
"Line" as capture source.

This won't work for 5.1/7.1 surround setups, but I guess in my case
it'll do since I only use stereo.