kernel upgrade to 3.2.1 - now no master volume

Hi,
   I haven't been subscribed to alsa-user in probably a year or so. Up
until this week Alsa has worked well on all my machines. However with
an upgrade to my kernel (gentoo-sources-3.2.1) I've lost access the
master volume control in KDE. On this machine I only use headphones.
Up until this kernel upgrade the master on the KDE mixer has always,
for years and years and years, controlled volume to the headphones.
Now it doesn't. If I pop into the full mixer then the PCM control as
well as the headphone control still adjust volume but the master
control does nothing.

   There is an option in the KDE mixer to let it control one of the
sub channels. I've tried setting it to PCM which does work after
logging out so that's a reasonable short term solution.

   My previous revision was gentoo-sources-3.1.5 where audio worked
perfectly, as it did for every kernel I've used since I built this
machine two years ago.

   The audio hardware is Intel-hda stuff running on some sort of riser
card that came with the system. The motherboard is an Asus Rampage II
Extreme running on Intel i7 980x Extreme processor.

   One thing I just noticed on a reboot are some messages about Alsa
not being able to restore mixer levels. IIRC, in the very old days I
would erase /etc/asound.state and then the mixer would recreate it. If
that's the normal solution to this problem it seems that the file is
not in /etc anymore? The only one I found was
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state. Is that still the right file?

Thanks,
Mark