Re: Xonar D1: how do I record what I hear?

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> I've been using a Soundblaster Live 24-bit in the past, and with it I
> could select "mix" as the input source in alsamixer (in Windows it was
> called "What U Hear", IIRC).  This way I could record whatever the card
> was playing.
>
> With the Xonar D1, there's nothing in alsamixer that would allow me to
> do that; the only available inputs are "Line", "Mic" and "Aux".

The Xonar hardware does not have this capability.

> In Windows, in addition to those three choices, I can also select "Wave"
> and "Mix" as the active capture source in the Xonar mixer, which allow
> me to do the same as "What U Hear" with the Soundblaster.

The Windows driver emulates this in software (if you have a Windows
version that is old enough to allow this).

To capture a program's output, tell it to write to a file.  If that is
not possible, try to configure an output device with the ALSA file plugin.

Regards,
Clemens